The Garden Theater
The 312-seat Garden Theater, located in downtown Frankfort, Michigan, was built in 1923 and from all accounts has been in continuous operation since that time.
Prior to 2008, the building had fallen into great disrepair over the previous 20 years, including a failed steam boiler heating system allowing only for summer operation. In June of 2008 the Garden was purchased by a group of community members with the intent of renovating the building and giving life back to this northern Michigan treasure.
After a few bandages were applied during the summer months, the Garden Theater closed for extensive renovations in October 2008. Throughout the winter and spring an incredible transformation took place and on June 18, 2009 the Garden Theater re-opened with great fanfare.
A new state of the art heating and cooling system was added, the sound system updated to Dolby 5 channel digital, new theater seats from Irwin Seating in Grand Rapids were installed and the entire theater entrance area was restored to its original Art Deco brilliance.
The Renaissance of the Garden continues thanks to hundreds of volunteer hours, seat investors, and the incredible spirit of the local community! An army of volunteer painters tackled the incredible task of replicating the damaged Art Deco ceiling tiles. Special thanks to John Vinkemulder, Peggy Hawley, Mary Armstrong, and Lynn Petti for their leadership on the restoration project.
Read more about the amazing efforts to revitalize the Garden Theater in MyNorth.com.
garden Theater Upgrades
Digital Film Projection
Dolby 7.1 Digital Sound
320 New Seats
State-of-the-Art Heating & Cooling Systems
Upgrades to Electrical & Plumbing
Restored Art Deco Paintings
New Film Screen
The theater is also equipped with a hearing loop system including T-coil technology. Please inquire at the box office for additional information and to obtain a personal headset.